Mob: 07890 850353

Dressmake from a Duvet

My Dress from a Duvet Cover

We’ve a new feature at the Stitch Festival next year (23rd – 26th March at the Business Design Centre, Islington, London) – Dressmake from a Duvet. So putting my own spin on this, I have of course made a dress from a duvet.

The idea for the feature at the show is to encourage visitors to come wearing their own makes from a duvet cover (it could be a dress, jumpsuit, duster coat, full skirt or whatever) and come on the Friday wearing their creation. ‘Spotters’ will be out on the day to invite those wearing their fab makes to a Flash Mob Style catwalk show – just come along at 12.30pm and share your makes. Of course, I will be there in mine!

dress from a duvet reel





I started with a duvet cover that was a jade colour on one side and white on the other, with matching prints on both. I used half of the darker side for the skirt section of my chosen dress – cutting across the width of the duvet x the length I wanted. To this I added a border to the length from the ‘white’ side – matching up the print so it looked like one piece.

I cut the panel I had created into half from top to bottom to get a back and front. Then cut the back section in half again (to create a back seam).  I then just used a ruler to create pleats and machine basted these in place (just pleating until I had taken in enough to fit my waist measurement, starting at the centre front to create an inverted pleat, with knife edge pleats either side). I did the same for the back pieces leaving 2cm either side of back seam free. I also added pockets (you have just to love pockets), adding them to the side seams of front and back before sewing up and around pockets to finish side seams.

For the bodice I started with Butterick 6322 ‘patterns by Gertie’ and used the ‘white’ side for the gathered upper bodice to nicely tie in with the border on the skirt. I had to increase the hight of the upper bodice pattern piece in order to accommodate my ‘fuller bust’. I also lined the midriff, adding interfacing to the outer layer as I didn’t want the lacing overlay. I finished the dress with an invisible zip on the centre back seam, adding the bias binding to armholes and neck edge – made from the duvet cover fabric of course.

I’ve got enough duvet cover fabric left to make a two piece jumpsuit – so much easier to put on and take off!

Not bad for a duvet that originally cost £20.